This Holidays, buy the life journey for newborn and mother-to-be in Somalia.
£ 10 can buy 20 miles to move the ambulance, equipment for maternal ward and operation room to Maxaas General Hospital in Somalia.
£ 20 can buy 40 miles to move the ambulance, equipment for maternal ward and operation room to Maxaas General Hospital in Somalia.
£ 50 can buy 100 miles to move the ambulance, equipment for maternal ward and operation room to Maxaas General Hospital in Somalia.
“Somalia: women have one in ten chance of dying due to pregnancy or childbirth-related complications.” World Health Organization 2014
Mahas General Hospital is in dire condition and needs of rehabilitation and appropriate equipment. Renovating the maternal unit of the hospital will mean that mothers in need of special medical assistance have the facilities to be treated and supported in delivering healthy babies whilst avoiding childbirth complications.
For improving women’s wellbeing in Mahas district, we collected
maternal medical equipment and facilities from a hospital in Italy, and negotiated Hiiraan District Authorities the logistics on the ground.
Now we are in need to fund the shipping fee for sending the equipment to their hands.
Mahas District is located in the central Hiiraan region. Usually, women from that region would give birth at home with the help of traditional birth attendants. Unsupervised labour may, however, result in complications, either for the mother, or the baby, or both. The region of Hiiraan is associated with international health actors as a region with a high density of pregnant women at risk of complications. The main contributors to these statistics are the low hygiene and the traditional practices that expose women to risky pregnancies.
Mahas General Hospital is the only hospital with a maternal ward and a surgery room for the women in Hiiraan. The hospital is the only medical service provider for the complex cases, making it the only option for the mothers-to-be.
1. Maxaas General Hospital needs a better equipment in order to successfully treat complex cases: in the whole region of Mahas in Somalia, most women give birth at home; only those with complications reach the maternal unit.
2. Ensure that no mother dies from birth complications: Mahas General Hospital is the only hospital that provides life-saving medical assistance to mothers-to-be in the region!
We want to cover the health needs of women, and therefore we aim to provide the unit with better equipment.
Together we can give hope for another at risk by receiving the needed medical help at the maternity unit of Mahas General Hospital – the only health service provider in the area.
1. Improving the quality of care for the complicated birth cases in the whole Mahas District.
2. Reducing the maternal mortality rate across the Mahas district.
3. Gaining more trust between local women and the hospital: in other words, encouraging women to go to the hospital for check-ups and deliver in a safe environment with minimum risks of complications.
We will report to all people who donate via regular email updates about the progress of the equipment’s journey to its new home destination!
“Every child should be growing with their mother by their side, and no one can substitute mother’s loving care. “